I would be lying if I say that I have never had anxiety before and that during the pandemic it become worse. The very thought of a pandemic was enough to trigger it. As soon as I realised I knew that I had to change this immediately. So I started taking some measures to prevent it.
Here are a few simple changes I made in my daily routine to lessen my anxiety and lead a positive life-
- I made a schedule for my sleep routine. This way I avoided going through my phone till late at night as well as stopped being indolent even if I wasn’t sleepy. I woke up at a fixed time preferably before 7am. This way I had more time to finish my task planned for the day.
- I committed to working out every single day. I knew I had no excuse as I could workout at home with the help of number of free YouTube videos. Working out made me happy, fresh and gave me a sense of accomplishment.
- Ate a balanced diet. We all love our cakes, cookies and pizza, so do I, but eating them regularly can make you feel sluggish and more anxious. Eating a balanced diet does not mean that you have to give up on junk. You can surely have it once in a while. This way my gut health become better and I felt healthy and light throughout the day.
- We all have read and are aware about the benefits of Meditation. I also was aware but never had the patience to incorporate it in my life but this time i decided to give it a try. I admit that when I started it wasn’t easy for me to sit in one position forget the concentration then. But as days passed I realised that i felt more calm each day. It made me focus on all the positivity in my life and a sense of gratitude for what I have.
- Next comes the social media, while I would sit at home scrolling through my social media I would see my friends enjoying, travelling, having the time of their life. This left me wondering what’s wrong with mine so I decided to stop comparing myself to others and realised that social media just shows the rosy picture of someone’s life and not the challenges or problems they face. This way I felt more confident and content with my life.
- I also limited the time I spent on social media sites. It is highly addictive and it does waste a lot of our time. To fix this I did set up some hours when I decided that I would not use it. But doing this I realised I do have a lot of time in my hand.
- Motivational podcasts helped me in many ways. I started listening to these podcasts which helped me to develop the practice of self- affirmation. I was battling with thoughts which gave me low self esteem and anxiety regarding my future. After listening to podcasts I was constantly motivated to value my self worth. There are a lot of motivational podcasts on Spotify and Apple Music. Jay Shetty is one of my favourite.
- I had a list of things I wanted to learn and I felt that this was the right time. I started learning new dishes and cooked my meal on daily basis. This way I ensured that I ate healthy. At the same time I even learnt pilates( something I wanted to learn for so long). It really helped me to be in control of my mind and body as well as promoted good sleep.
- Realising the importance of taking a break. We sometimes feel that we have so much to do and that time is less this increases anxiety to complete a particular task. But sometimes it’s good to take a break and slow down. Taking a break is not giving up or being indolent. Your body and mind sometimes needs rest to rejuvenate. Doing this I felt I had better concentration.
- I kept in touch with my loved ones. Never underestimate the power of communication with your loved ones. Sharing your thoughts without hesitation really helps. Your loved ones will always support you and be there for you. Also don’t forget to spend time with them because you will cherish the memories forever.
You are not alone in this. Anxiety is a part and parcel of our lives now. The only way you can deal with it is by being positive and taking measures to prevent it in your daily life. Smile more and laugh like no one is watching.